Font Size


FAQ Permits

What hours is construction allowed?
Construction of excavation, demolition, alteration or repair of any building, street, highway or parking area is allowed from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Construction and/or building activity on Sundays and/or legal holidays is prohibited except when necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety and welfare.
Which permit(s) do I need?
There are some improvements that will only require a zoning permit, such as a fence or driveway. Some will require both a zoning permit and various construction/building permits.  A few examples of these multiple permits are a new home, decks, additions and A/C units.  Some improvements may only require construction permits; interior remodeling, new windows, roof, siding, furnace, or water heater.

If a zoning permit is required, you will need to submit the completed application, application fee, along with all of the supporting documentation to City Hall for approval. When the approval process is complete, you will be contacted to come and pick up the approved plans and application and pay any addition review fees. If you only need a zoning permit, you may begin the improvements you were approved for. If you have more questions email us here  or call 248-682-1440.

If a Zoning Permit and Construction Permit(s) are required, there are two steps for approval. First, you must complete the zoning permit process outlined above. Then you will need to pick up your approved plans and approved application and take them to Bloomfield Township Building Division to obtain the remainder of your construction permits. Bloomfield will not issue any permits that require a zoning permit unless you present them with an approved zoning permit from Sylvan Lake. Bloomfield Township will collect the fees for construction permits. Make checks out to "Bloomfield Township".

If only a Construction permit(s) is required, you may go directly to Bloomfield Township to apply for the necessary permits.
When are inspectors available for questions?
All Zoning questions should be directed to Sylvan Lake City Hall, 248-682-1440.

Building code interpretation or code related questions may be addressed by the appropriate inspector at the following times; between 7:00 - 8:00 AM and 5:00 - 5:30 PM,  Monday-Thursday. 248-594-2818
When is an inspection needed?
Generally, inspections are performed at the foundation, rough, insulation and final stages. Other inspections may be required during construction depending on the extent of the construction project.  Inspections are required for all permitted work; please check with the Building Division as to when to request inspections
Is it necessary to meet the inspector at the inspection site?
No, however access must be provided to the inspector on the scheduled inspection day.
When should I call for a building inspection
Call the Building Division at 248-433-7715 to request an inspection.  Office hours are Monday through Thursday 7 am – 5:30 pm. Offices are closed on Fridays. Inspection requests received on Monday through Friday before 5 pm can be scheduled for the next business day. Inspection requests received on Saturday through Sunday are scheduled for Tuesday.  Please allow for an additional business day for holidays. 
May I request a specific time of day for an inspection?
Time requests for inspections are limited to morning or afternoon, however, depending on the amount and type of inspection, time requests may not be honored. Certain conditions, a special request, or a time constraint may necessary at times. If the situation dictates a meeting with the inspector, please call the Building Division at 248.433.7715, between 7:00 and 8:00 AM the day of the inspection.