2018 Voter Information

There are no elections scheduled until 2020.


You may vote by absentee ballot if you:

  • Are unable to attend the polls without assistance;
  • Are ago 60 or older;
  • Expect to be absent from your city for the entire time the polls are open on election day;
  • Are in jail awaiting arraignment or trail;
  • Have been assigned to work as a precinct Inspector in a precinct other than where you are registered;
  • Are unable to attend the polls because of religious beliefs;

How do I apply?

  • By contacting the clerk of your city in writing.  State a statutory reason (listed above), tell where the allot must be mailed or delivered, give your present registered address and sign the request.  Absentee ballots can be mailed only to your registration address or a temporary address outside the community.
  • A preprinted absentee ballot application form is available here or contact your city clerk upon request.  Application forms are also available on the Michigan Voter Information Center Web site (www.mi.gov/vote).
  • Send the completed application to your city clerk, 1820 Inverness Sylvan Lake MI 48320.
  • NOTE: Absent Voter Ballots cannot be supplied through telephone requests.
  • Application can be by:
  • Letter
  • Post Card
  • Returning application form obtained from the Michigan Voter Information Center Web site (www.mi.gov/vote) or your clerk or completing application form when visiting your clerk’s office.
  • Federal Post Card Application.
  • NOTE: This is restricted to;

          -       Members of the Armed Forces & merchant Marines and their spouses and dependents.

          -        U.S. Citizens temporarily living or traveling outside of the territorial limits of the United States. 

What is the deadline for applying for absentee ballots?

  • Application sent by mail must reach the clerk by 2:00 p.m. on the Saturday preceding the election.
  • An elector may visit his/her city clerk’s office and apply for an absentee ballot in person up to 4:00 p.m. the day preceding the election.
  • An emergency absent voter ballot can be obtained on election day if a family death or illness requires you to leave your city on election day or you are unable to attend the polls because of personal illness or accident.  The emergency must have occurred late enough that you could not file a regular absent voter ballot request.  Have someone deliver your written request for an emergency absent voter ballot to the clerk’s office before 4:00 p.m. on election day.
  • All absentee ballots, including emergency ballots, must be returned by 8 p.m. on election day.

How do I return my absent voter ballot application?

  • Public postal service, express mail service, parcel post service or other common carrier.
  • Personally deliver it to you clerk or an assistant of the clerk.
  • Have an immediate family member mail or deliver it to the clerk or an assistant of the clerk.
  • Have another person living in your household mail or deliver it to the clerk or an assistant of the clerk.
  • If none of the above are available to you, another registered voter may deliver your application to the clerk but must sign an authorizing certificate.