To the Qualified Electors, NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that a Special Election will be held in the
THE CITY OF SYLVAN LAKE
COUNTY OF OAKLAND, STATE OF MICHIGAN
TUESDAY, MAY 2, 2017
The polls will be open 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. All polling places are handicap accessible. Braille and audio versions of voting instructions are available at the polling places listed below:
CITY OF SYLVAN LAKE
2456 PONTIAC DR
For the purpose of voting the following proposal:
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT BOND PROPOSITION
Shall the West Bloomfield School District, County of Oakland, State of Michigan, borrow the sum of not to exceed One Hundred Twenty Million ($120,000,000) Dollars and issue its general obligation unlimited tax bonds therefore, in one or more series, for the purpose of paying for the cost of the following projects:
- Erecting, equipping and furnishing a new Middle School building;
- Erecting, equipping and furnishing additions to or demolition to or for school buildings and other facilities, including playgrounds;
- Remodeling, equipping, re-equipping, furnishing, re-furnishing school buildings, athletic fields and other facilities to enhance safety and security and for other purposes;
- Purchasing School Buses;
- Acquiring and installing technology equipment and technology infrastructure in school buildings and other facilities; and
- Preparing, developing and improving sites for school buildings, playgrounds, athletic fields and other facilities?
The maximum number of years any series of bonds may be outstanding, exclusive of refunding, is not more than twenty (20) years; the estimated millage that will be levied to pay the proposed bonds in the first year is 1.14 mills (which is equal to $1.14 per $1,000 of taxable value); and the estimated simple average annual millage that will be required to retire each series of bonds is 3.68 mills annually ($3.68 per $1,000 of taxable value). The estimated mills for all of the School District’s debt was 7.50 mills in 2016; however, if this millage is approved, due to refunding of prior indebtedness and the need to levy less millage to service the School District’s indebtedness, the estimated levy will decrease by 0.5 mills, for a total levy of 7.00 mills.
(Pursuant to State law, expenditure of bond proceeds must be audited, and the proceeds cannot be used for teacher, administrator or employee salaries, repair or maintenance costs or other operating expenses.)
Persons wishing to obtain an absentee ballot may do so by contacting the clerk’s office listed above. The Clerk, or their designee, will be available in the Clerk’s Office on the Saturday preceding the election, April 29, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., the deadline for requesting an absentee ballot which will be mailed.
CITY OF SYLVAN LAKE
DENNISE DRYDEN, CITY CLERK
Publish in the West Bloomfield Beacon Newspaper on April 19, 2017