NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
CITY OF SYLVAN LAKE ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
Notice is hereby given that the City of Sylvan Lake Zoning Board of Appeals will hold two (2) public hearings on November 17, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. in compliance with the Open Meetings Act, Public Act, MCL 15.263 ET SEQ., as amended, hereby gives notice of a Zoning Board of Appeals meeting to be held electronically:
Join Zoom Meeting online at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81847487722
Meeting ID: 818 4748 7722
Join the meeting by phone: 1 312 626 6799 – Enter the meeting ID when prompted.
“Raise your hand” by dialing *9.
The purpose of these hearings is to receive public comments on variance requests for the following applicants:
- 959 James K Blvd. – proposed tiered privacy fence on the right-hand property line requiring two (2) variances. This is a lakefront property in the R1 Single Family Residential zoning district. Parcel ID: 13-36-430-026. The fence would vary from four-feet near the street to eight-feet beside the house and back to four feet in height to the lake’s edge. The fence would be on the righthand side-property line, adjacent to the existing chain link fence bordering the Pioneer Highlands municipal park. Section 78-613(b)1and 3. Fences and screening. (1) side yard: Shall not exceed 4’ in height and shall be open, decorative design, such as aluminum, wrought iron, or similar durable material, and obscuring less than 50% of the fence area. (3) Fences on lakefront properties are permitted in the side yard only. Requiring a variance for the placement, height, and type of fencing.
- 2495 Pontiac Drive – proposed new home requiring eight (8) variances. This is a lakefront property in the R1 Single Family Residential zoning district. Parcel ID: 13-36-376-003. Variances Requested:
- Maximum Lot Coverage - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height, and placement requirements
Maximum lot coverage shall not exceed 35% of the lot area. The lot as platted totals approximately 4,000 square feet in area, allowing total lot coverage of 1,400 square feet. However, on the lakeside, the actual property extends about 28 feet beyond the platted property line to the seawall making the total area of the property approximately 5,472 square feet, allowing total lot coverage of 1,915 square feet. The proposed lot coverage is 2,575 square feet.
- The proposed lot coverage of the platted lot is 64.38%, requiring a variance of 29.38% (1,175 sq. ft) OR
- The proposed lot coverage of the total lot is 47%, requiring a variance of 13% (660 sq. ft.)
Front Yard Setbacks – Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height, and placement requirements.
This property has two front yards. The minimum required front yard setback is 30’ from the street side and 30’ from the lakeside.
- Front yard - Street. The applicant is proposing a front yard setback from the front property line along the street of 9.75 feet, requiring a variance of 20.25 feet.
- Front yard - Lake. The applicant is proposing a front yard setback from the front property line along the lake (seawall) of eight (8.3) feet, requiring a variance of 21.7 feet.
- Side Yard Setbacks - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height, and placement requirements. The Left-hand side requires a minimum 8-foot setback, 3.17 feet proposed, requiring a variance of 4.83 feet.
- Total side yard setbacks - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height, and placement requirements. The minimum required for the total of both side yard setbacks is 13 feet. The petitioner proposes a total of both side yard setbacks of 8.17 feet, requiring a variance of 4.83 feet.
Minimum distance between homes –– Section 78-609 states the minimum distance between homes shall not be less than the total of the two required side yards of either of the lots, which is 13 feet.
- Left-hand side – The proposed distance between homes is 11.18 feet, requiring a variance of 1.82 feet.
- Right-hand side – The proposed distance between homes is 6.75 feet, requiring a variance of 6.25 feet.
- Maximum Building Height, Number of Stories – Section 78-296 states the maximum number of stories is 2 ½. The petitioner proposes a 3 story house (walkout basement with 2 ½ stories above it), requiring a variance for Building height - number of stories.
You can view the complete applications on the City’s website – sylvanlake.org. Click agendas, minutes and notices, on the bottom of the screen, and then ZBA on the left side. Written comments may be emailed to Cityhall@sylvanlake.org, mailed, or dropped off at City Hall until 4:00 p.m., November 17, 2020.
This notice is published pursuant to the requirements of the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Public Act 110 of 2006, as amended.
City Clerk, Sylvan Lake
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category