NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
CITY OF SYLVAN LAKE ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
Notice is hereby given that the City of Sylvan Lake Zoning Board of Appeals will hold three (3) public hearings on June 17, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. or shortly after, at the Sylvan Lake Community Center, 2456 Pontiac Drive, Sylvan Lake, MI 48320.
NOTE: as of the date of this notice, it is expected that the city will be conducting this meeting in person, at the address listed above because Governor Whitmer’s Stay Home Stay Safe Executive Order is now set to expire on June 12, 2020. However, if that order is extended, or if other circumstances result in the city determining it necessary to conduct this meeting other than in person at the community center, (electronic zoom meeting) a notice and information will be posted on the city’s website at www.sylvanlake.org
The purpose of these hearings is to receive public comments on variance requests for the following applicants:
1. 1605 Lakeview – proposed addition on the rear of the house requiring one (1) variance. Parcel 18-01-203-014. The applicant is requesting to construct an addition to the rear of the house that will be 21.1’ from the rear property line. Sec. 78-296 states the minimum rear yard setback for this property is 30’, requiring a variance of 8.9 feet.
2. 328 S. Telegraph Rd - proposed building addition and site improvements for Sylvan Mobil requiring three (3) variances. Parcel 13-36-429-008 within the City of Sylvan Lake. The following variances are being requested: 1) Sec. 78-296 – C-1 District Minimum rear yard; 2) Sec. 78-296 – C-1 District Minimum side yard (north) and 3) a use variance from Section 78-447 to permit the expansion of a nonconforming use (existing gas station).
3. 2495 Pontiac Drive – proposed new home requiring eight (8) variances. Parcel 13-36-376-003.
1) Maximum Lot Coverage - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height and placement requirements.
Maximum lot coverage shall not exceed 35% of the lot area. The lot as platted totals approximately 4,000 square feet in area, allowing total lot coverage of 1,400 square feet. However, on the lakeside, the actual property extends about 28 feet beyond the platted property line to the seawall making the total area of the property approximately 5,472 square feet, allowing total lot coverage of 1,915 square feet.
- The proposed lot coverage of the platted lot is 66.65%, requiring a variance of 31.65% (1,266 sq. ft) OR
- The proposed lot coverage of the total lot is 48.7%, requiring a variance of 13.7% (751 sq. ft.)
Front Yard Setbacks – Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height and placement requirements.This property has two front yards. The minimum required front yard setback is 30’ from the street side, and 30’ from the lakeside.
2) Front yard - Street. The applicant is proposing a front yard setback from the front property line along the street of 11.33 feet, requiring a variance of 18.67 feet.
3) Front yard - Lake. The applicant is proposing a front yard setback from the front property line along the lake (seawall) of eight (8) feet, requiring a variance of 22 feet.
Side Yard Setbacks - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height and placement requirements
4) Left-hand side has a minimum 6.5 feet required, five (5) feet proposed, requiring a variance of 1.5 feet.
5) Right-hand side has a minimum five (5) feet required, 3.25 feet proposed, requiring a variance of 1.75 feet.
6) Total side yard setbacks - Section 78-296. Area, bulk, height and placement requirements
The minimum required for the total of both side yard setbacks is 13 feet. The petitioner is proposing a total of both side yard setbacks of 8.25 feet, requiring a variance of 4.75 feet.
Minimum distance between homes –– Section 78-609 states the minimum distance between homes shall not be less than the total of the two required side yards of either of the lots, which is 13 feet.
7) Left-hand side – The proposed distance between homes is 10.125 feet, requiring a variance of 2.875 feet.
8) Right-hand side – The proposed distance between homes is 5 feet, requiring a variance of 8 feet.
A complete copy of the applications may be viewed on the City’s website – sylvanlake.org. Click agendas, minutes and notices, on the bottom of the screen and then ZBA on the left side. Written comments may be email to Cityhall@sylvanlake.org, mailed or dropped off at City Hall until 4:00 p.m., June 17, 2020.
This notice is published pursuant to the requirements of the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, Public Act 110 of 2006, as amended.
City Clerk, Sylvan Lake
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category